[Samba] Planning ahead

Anders Östling anders.ostling at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 16:25:58 UTC 2021

Hi
We have a small but pretty well functioning mix of Windows AD servers, clients and Samba file servers today (running on Ubuntu). Looking ahead, I plan to test a Linux-only environment (including a virtual win server for an application database that is unportable…). So I had previous an idea to try CentOS as base, and now I have installed the predecessor Alma Linux so I can start a small lab. To my surprise , the Samba version available in the RH repos does not support the AD function (samba-tool missing). I found some old posts that confirmed that, but there are several years old.

What is the status today? Can I run samba as an AD server on RH-based servers?

Anders Östling

Dämmegatan 11
SE-25442 Helsingborg
Sweden