[Samba] login without domain\username

ERIC PEYREMORTE eric.peyremorte at univ-grenoble-alpes.fr
Tue Feb 2 11:13:13 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I'm sure it's a newbie question but is it possible to allow users on computers outside domain to connect to a share just with their login instead of domain\login ?

Ex: when a user using an off domain computer connects to \\srv-name\share, he has to prefix its username with the domain (domain\user).

In our previous setup with samba 3, on our domain member file server we used that : map untrusted to domain = yes.

Now we have an AD windows server 2019, several samba4 files servers and a single domain.

I can connect to the windows server with bogus\login or plain login, but it doesn't work on file servers.

I know i could use the UPN, but it was to make the transition easier to users (non technical).

If it's not possible, why isn't it ? Is it something with kerberos of ntlm ?

Cheers