[Samba] vfs_ChDir failed: Permission denied

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Feb 1 21:04:41 UTC 2021

On 01/02/2021 20:34, Marco Shmerykowsky via samba wrote:

> How would I check this?  Is there a recursive way to reset this
> so that I can revive the old server prior to putting the new
> one together?

OK, I told you how to calculate what the user & group ID's from the RID,
so you need to calculate what they should be.

Get the shares paths from smb.conf and run this command:

sudo ls -laR full/path/to share > sharename.txt

Then get the numeric ID of the users and groups from sharename.txt

getent passwd username | awk -F ':' '{print $3}'

getent group groupname | awk -F ':' '{print $3}'

Check each ID, is it what you expect ?

If it isn't, then you need to fix your idmapping

Check all shares before altering anything.

Once you have identified if anything needs fixing, find out what is
wrong in smb.conf etc, fix whatever is required, then reboot.

Now fix the file ownership with chown (and setfacl, if required).

Rowland