[Samba] How to Properly Configure Samba's Internal DNS

Marco Shmerykowsky marco at sce-engineers.com
Mon Feb 1 15:37:13 UTC 2021

On 2/1/2021 4:06 AM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 01/02/2021 08:39, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
>> As long i dont see the debug output of the script,
>> I and Rowland (and others) are having a hard time to help out here.
>>
>> The debugscript i made does show us almost all we need.
>> Now what you can do with it.
>>
>> Run in it on all you AD-DC's and find the differences.
>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thctlo/samba4/master/samba-collect-debug-info.sh
>>

>> if you post the output to the list, dont attach the files and
>> anonymize it where needed.
>

> Might be an idea, even though the OP seems to have fixed his dns problem.
>
> He then moved on to a problem with a Unix domain member, which turned
> out to be caused by a malformed 'idmap config' line.
>
> He supplied a copy of the smb.conf he is using now and I just noticed
> another problem, though this could be a cut and paste typo:
>
> workgroup = AD_DOMAIN
>
> idmap config AD-DOMAIN
>
> Rowland

Correct. Typo in anonymizing it.

On a related question, it is necessary to manually enter PTR records
so that the hostname of a server (ie machine1) can be resolved to
an IP address or does it typically happen automagically based on
the hosts/hostname/resolv files?

I don't remember adding any PTR records originally when I set thing
up, but it was the only way I could get the 32bit server to resolve
properly.