[Samba] DNS PTR update fails if IP is reused by another client

spindles seven spindles7 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 19:08:18 UTC 2021

On 16 December 2021 07:54 L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Do read this also Roy,
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Features_added/changed#Marking_old_records_as_static_or_dynamic_with_.27samba-
> tool.27

Many thanks Louis;  wasn't aware of these parameters.  I realise now that these records would not get scavenged automatically unless smb.conf contains a line:

	dns zone scavenging = yes

which I did not have.      In any case, I have now deleted the offending record and all is well.   What isn't clear is how you show what the existing settings are for the zoneoptions - eg ageing control and refresh interval.   OK you can set the values, but I can't see how you check what the existing settings are.

All the best,

Roy