[Samba] DNS PTR update fails if IP is reused by another client

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Dec 15 22:17:15 UTC 2021

On Wed, 2021-12-15 at 21:40 +0000, Roy Eastwood via samba wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2021, 16:59 Andrew Bartlett via samba, <
> samba at lists.samba.org>
> wrote:
> > DNS has two levels of tombstones, because clients so often do a
> > delete/add cycle it would quickly fill the DB (this used to happen,
> > long ago I was helping out a school with 100,000 DNS tombstones).
> >
> > So objects become DNS 'deleted' but still owned (for SD purposes)
> > by
> > the original name, then those get scavenged and become properly
> > deleted
> > (so no squatting on that name).
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett
>
> So how do I allow the record to be created?   I am still getting
> these
> error messages.   How long is it before the records get scavenged
> automatically?

I was unaware about dns tombstones, so I did some searching and found
this:
https://it-hint.blogspot.com/2011/11/dns-tombstones-in-windows-2003-and-2008.html

Which explains it a bit better, a further search turned up this:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c01276134&docLocale=en_US

>From that, it looks like you just need to find the DN of the dns object
you wish to delete and then use ldbdel to delete it.

I have not tested it, so if you do this, you do this at your own risk
and I would ensure that I have a current backup before I tried.

Rowland