[Samba] GADMIN-SAMBA

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Tue Dec 14 01:24:51 UTC 2021

> On Mon, 2021-12-13 at 15:48 -0600, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:
>> If you only have one windows machine, you definitely want standalone.
>
> Why ?
> Are you suggesting that having and maintaining multiple standalone
> servers is a good idea ?

Not necessarily, but I'm assuming the user already has a system for
managing users, and just needs to share files.

In the modern era of configuration management systems, directories are
far from a necessity.  /etc/passwd and /etc/group are by far the easiest
and most deterministic way to manage users and groups, and if you have
all your systems under Ansible or Saltstack, or something, you can just
update these plus the shadow files in one location and and then push
them out to all your client hosts.  Certainly no more fuss than using a
directory.