[Samba] GADMIN-SAMBA

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Dec 13 21:59:18 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-12-13 at 16:26 -0500, Clement Martin wrote:
> No wonder I was having some issues. I want to share, not sync--thanks
> for helping my vocabulary!
>
> Tell me the pros and cons of running as standalone vs domain. What do
> you recommend?

This could all be a bit moot if your Windows 10 is the 'Home' edition,
they cannot join a domain.

Samba running as a Standalone server is very similar to running a
Windows 10 Home edition, you need to create the same users and groups
on all machines, in the Samba case this means creating local Unix users
and Samba users, groups can just be Unix groups. This is generally
referred to as running a workgroup.

Domains are a bit easier, you just run Domain Controllers (one at
least, but more is better) and the users and groups are created and
maintained there, no need to create any users or groups on the clients.
Windows will use these users and groups directly, but Unix will require
Samba's smb.conf setting up correctly to map the Windows users and
groups to Unix ones, once you have this working, you then just use the
main part of the smb.conf on all other Unix machines (with different
shares).

This might all seem a bit daunting, but it is fairly easy, once you get
your head around it.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Rowland