[Samba] samba_dnsupdate timeout

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Dec 13 18:25:15 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-12-13 at 18:29 +0100, Andrea Venturoli via samba wrote:
> On 12/10/21 11:46, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>
> > Does the jails /etc/resolv.conf point to its ipaddress (not
> > 127.0.0.1)
> > ?
>
> Yes.

Good :-)

> > There are quite a number of dns records on a DC that need to exist,
> > samba_dnsupdate checks that they exist and creates them if they
> > don't,
>
> Thanks.
> So, IIUC, this is run periodically on a DC?

Yes, every 10 minutes.

> > > _ what to look for to diagnose this?
> >
> > check /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hosts /etc/hostname for a start.
>
> # cat /etc/resolv.con
> nameserver 192.168.128.2
> domain ad.xxxx.netfence.it
>
> # grep -v ^# /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.ad.xxxx.netfence.it

'localhost' isn't part of a domain, it is just 'localhost', so I would
remove 'localhost.ad.xxxx.netfence.it'

> 192.168.128.2	dc1.ad.xxxx.netfence.it	dc1
>
> # cat /etc/hostname
> cat: /etc/hostname: No such file or directory
> (This is set when creating the jail)
> # hostname
> dc1.ad.xxxx
>
> Changing hostname to dc1.ad.xxxx.netfence.it seems to have stop this
> (at
> least for now).

That was probably your problem, I use Debian and I just have the short
hostname in /etc/hostname, though red-hat based distros use the FQDN,
you had neither.

> I wonder why it worked for years, then stopped.
> Also I wonder why it works with an almost identical setup elsewhere.

No idea, as I said, I am not sat at your computer :-D

Rowland