[Samba] DNS PTR update fails if IP is reused by another client

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Dec 12 16:58:30 UTC 2021

On Sat, 2021-12-11 at 13:36 +0000, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> There is something going very wrong here. When you delete a dns
> object
>
> in AD, it isn't really deleted. It has a few attributes removed and
> is
>
> renamed and then moved to 'CN=Deleted
>
> Objects,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com'
>

> This means that the reverse record shouldn't be there when Windows
>
> tries to create/alter the record.

DNS has two levels of tombstones, because clients so often do a
delete/add cycle it would quickly fill the DB (this used to happen,
long ago I was helping out a school with 100,000 DNS tombstones).

So objects become DNS 'deleted' but still owned (for SD purposes) by
the original name, then those get scavenged and become properly deleted
(so no squatting on that name).

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions