[Samba] recent win10 issues

David Mulder dmulder at samba.org
Wed Dec 8 15:02:56 UTC 2021

On 12/8/21 6:56 AM, Stephane ANCELOT via samba wrote:

> Yes, but which 'Linux OS' ?
> Samba 3.4.7 , 4.0.0 and 4.6.7 are all dead
>
> Ubuntu 10.04 : samba 3.4.7 / 4.0.0
>
> Opensuse 42.3 / samba 4.6.7

openSUSE 42.3 is long since unsupported. We don't even have the
environment setup to build packages for it anymore.

> We may upgrade software from source , if samba needed dependencies permits it.

If you really want to upgrade from source, I can tell you that at some
point we were able to build 4.11 on openSUSE 42.3 (which may require waf
patches, IIRC). I don't think 4.15 can build on openSUSE 42.3. One big
issue you're going to run into is python2/3 upgrade issues. Another
issue is, since 42.3 is unsupported, you may find it difficult to obtain
the necessary packages to build samba (there are build dependencies
which may be deleted from the repositories).
If you really need a relatively stable openSUSE, it will likely be
better to upgrade to openSUSE 15.2 or 15.3.
Continuing to run 42.3 is an untenable solution.

--
*David Mulder*
Labs Software Engineer, Samba
dmulder at suse.com