[Samba] ODP: Primary DC migration / upgrade

Norbert Hanke norbert.hanke at gmx.ch
Wed Dec 8 14:25:53 UTC 2021

Hi,

I/O on the Rapberry Pi is as bad or good as the SD card used for
storage. Look here for useful benchmarks: https://pibenchmarks.com/fastsd/ .

With the RPi 3 you can expect approx. 8 MB/s random read and 4 MB/s
random write with SanDisk SD cards; with the RPi 4 it's around 11 MB/s
random read and 5 MB/s random write with Kingston SD cards.
That's "terrible" compared to a contemporary SSD but for a Domain
Controller with no too many users it works fine.

You can speed up the RPi 4 by having an SSD on its USB 3 port... makes
it 10 times as fast, you could even boot from it but the latter is
sometimes tricky to make it work.

regards,
Norbert