[Samba] ODP: Primary DC migration / upgrade

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Tue Dec 7 17:08:22 UTC 2021

> On Tue, 2021-12-07 at 16:37 +0000, Krzysztof Kucybała wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply,
>> I considered Rasberry Pi, but I want this box to also keep a backup
>> hdd that will rsync from a NAS box that I have that runs network
>> shares among lots of other things (the primary dc VM as well which is
>> a bit problematic).
>
> A Samba AD DC (like a normal Windows AD DC) should only be used for
> authentication, but it isn't unknown for one to be used for other
> purposes.
>
>>   Gearing a Pi4b to do that will cost me a fair bit more than the
>> simplest AMD SoC mobo with a few required gizmos, and arguably it
>> will be less customizable.
>
> Are you sure about that ? You can get an rpi4, case, power supply and
> ssd for circa £150.

What I've read is that I/O on the raspberry Pi is terrible, but if the
directory fits entirely into RAM, I guess this isn't much of an issue. I
see only upsides to always running an AD-DC in a linux container,
regardless of what hardware you use. Filesystem-independent snapshots
are a very useful feature, and this makes it trivial to migrate your DC
from one hardware platform to another. And in this case using the
hardware for other purposes is expected.