[Samba] ODP: Primary DC migration / upgrade

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Dec 7 17:00:08 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-12-07 at 16:37 +0000, Krzysztof Kucybała wrote:
> Thanks for the reply,
> I considered Rasberry Pi, but I want this box to also keep a backup
> hdd that will rsync from a NAS box that I have that runs network
> shares among lots of other things (the primary dc VM as well which is
> a bit problematic).

A Samba AD DC (like a normal Windows AD DC) should only be used for
authentication, but it isn't unknown for one to be used for other
purposes.

>  Gearing a Pi4b to do that will cost me a fair bit more than the
> simplest AMD SoC mobo with a few required gizmos, and arguably it
> will be less customizable.

Are you sure about that ? You can get an rpi4, case, power supply and
ssd for circa £150.

> So You're saying there'd be no harm keeping the VM aside but pointing
> all members at the physical box as primary destination?

There would be no problem with using a VM as another DC (though I would
update the OS and Samba) and you could point your clients to both for
DNS.

Rowland