[Samba] Local vs public domain dns

Philippe LeCavalier support at plecavalier.com
Mon Dec 6 20:33:51 UTC 2021

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 9:41 AM Philippe LeCavalier <support at plecavalier.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 9:27 AM Jonathon Reinhart <
> jonathon.reinhart at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> AFAIK no, there is not. You have to use the Windows management tools.
>> There are plenty of other AD tasks that also require those tools (for now),
>> so you might as well join a Windows VM and install the RSAT package.
>>
>> Looking back at my notes, I confirm that yes, you have to use "Active
>> Directory Domains and Trusts":
>>
>> https://jonathonreinhart.com/posts/blog/2019/02/11/setting-up-a-samba-4-domain-controller-on-debian-9
>>

>> There's also this little blurb in the Samba Wiki:
>>
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Active_Directory_Naming_FAQ#My_User_Logins_Does_Not_Match_My_Email
>>
> Thanks again Johnathan. I figured as much...  I haven't had great
> experiences with VM thus far with regards to running a Windows desktop for
> that purpose. I use so soledomly that by the time tI go to load it up it's
> ridiculously out of date...yadda yadda yadda. Plus Virtualbox tends to be
> more and more of a pain in the rear end as of late. Anyways /rant over.
> Thanks again for taking the time to provide good info.

Just a quick question on implementation. I've got this working now and
would like to have users I create be able to use the @domain.com rather
than the default UPN. I get that there is no way to do this on first
creation but I was looking at the --upn function of the rename option but
can't seem to get it right. First off, is that the correct option to add
the alternate suffix and if so, what's the syntax because samba-tool user
rename $username --upn=domain.com doesn't work.