[Samba] Administrator User Has no access to Remote File Server

ralph strebbing blackbirdralph at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 19:58:35 UTC 2021

Hi All,

I'm attempting to diagnose an issue brought to my attention. Right
now, our setup consists of:
2 Domain Controllers (DC1, DC2), and 2 File Servers (Filesrv1,
Filesrv2). I'm attempting to access the samba shares that utilize
posix ACLs on Filesrv1 from both a windows and linux client. In both
instances, it refuses the login and/or tells me permission denied.

On filesrv1, I've created and dictated a usermap file, and in that
file is the following line:
!root = DOMAIN\Administrator

[global]
  workgroup = DOMAIN
  security = ADS
  realm = DOMAIN.COM
  username map = /etc/samba/user.map

  log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
  log level = 1

# Default ID mapping configuration for local BUILTIN accounts
# and groups on a domain member. The default (*) domain:
# - must not overlap with any domain ID mapping configuration!
# - must use a read-write-enabled back end, such as tdb.
  idmap config * : backend = tdb
  idmap config * : range = 10000-17999
# - You must set a DOMAIN backend configuration
# idmap config for the SAMDOM domain
  idmap config DOMAIN : backend = ad
  idmap config DOMAIN : schema_mode = rfc2307
  idmap config DOMAIN : range = 900-5000
  idmap config DOMAIN : unix_nss_info = yes

  vfs objects = acl_xattr
  map acl inherit = yes
  store dos attributes = yes
  inherit acls = yes
  kerberos method = secrets and keytab
  follow symlinks = yes
  winbind enum users = yes
  winbind enum groups = yes
  include = /etc/samba/shares.conf

A snippet of the specific share I'm testing with:

 [MIS]
   path = /storage/netfiles/mis
   browseable = no
   writeable = yes
   inherit acls = yes
   inherit permissions = yes
   #force user = root
   #force group = domadmins
   #valid users = root,administrator

The Force User, Group and Valid Users configs were moved from an old
setup, but have been commented out since before I started here.
I've refollowed the instructions here:
and on the POSIX ACL page, and for normal users it works just fine, I
feel I'm missing something very stupid, but I'm at a loss since most
searches seem to return help articles and responses from 2014 and no
later than 2017. Appreciate any help/advice!

Regards,
Ralph