[Samba] Point and Print Nightmare ? Samba4 ? or a simple driver issue ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Dec 3 17:34:15 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-11-29 at 14:17 +0100, Olivier BILHAUT via samba wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> I jump on the PrintNightmare topic because we still
> encounter an issue with SHARP PCL6 print driver.
>
> We've kindly followed
> all the recommandations about the 3 GPOs. We've updated to Samba
> 4.15.2
> and Windows to 21H2.
>
> But no way, when the driver is downloaded by the
> client, at the "Installing driver" step, the following error raise :
>

> "A POLICY IS IN EFFECT ON YOUR COMPUTER WHICH PREVENTS YOU FROM
> CONNECTING TO THIS PRINTER QUEUE"
>
> With the driver we use (we tried
> many differents versions), it occurs only on Samba4 print server
> (tried
> with a Windows 2012 - ok), and only with the SHARP driver

Eventually someone is going to need to do a proper network trace and
deep dive on the Samba code to follow exactly what happens against both
servers and see how our responses differ from Windows.

Showing that Samba negotiates different network protocols, protection
levels etc would be a good start.

I've seen so many mails on this topic, so this isn't going to resolve
itself by just users chatting with users.  I suggest someone engages
one of our fine Samba Commercial Support providers familiar with this
area to get to the bottom of this.

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions