[Samba] smbd fails to start after upgrade to version 4.11.6 - same on 4.12.15 at Debian Buster

Franz Gansberger franz.gansberger at boku.ac.at
Fri Dec 3 10:26:32 UTC 2021

On 31/01/2020 18:29, Kris Lou via samba wrote:> ifconfig names my RPi-3B interface as "enxb827eb<6chars>", not "eth0".>> I'm not a Raspbian expert, and perhaps my installation(s) are nonstandard,> but they were theoretically built upon Raspbian a few years ago.>Raspbian turns off 'predictable' interface names, perhaps this is the problem, in which case it is a systemd bug. Rowland

Hi, this is from a rather old issue - extracted from the samba archives...

Today it happened to me on Debian Buster, updating from latest 4.11.18 to 4.12.15 from Lois repositories.
This is an rather "old" installation with multiple Upgrades, still knowing about "eth0".
4.11 was running fine, but 4.12.15 made a core dump.

Uncommenting this both lines worked for me - thanks to this old thread.
> # bind interfaces only = yes> # interfaces = lo eth0

Kind regards
Franz