[Samba] Strange Bind freezing

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Dec 2 09:32:47 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-12-02 at 09:59 +0100, Remy Zandwijk via samba wrote:
> > Lets be honest here, you seem to be doing everything that I
> > wouldn't
> > recommend:
> > I wouldn't recommend using Freebsd in production
> > I wouldn't recommend using ZFS in production
> > I wouldn't recommend using a separate Bind9 server, unless it
> > forwards
> > all AD dns to an AD DC.
>
> Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I am using FreeBSD and ZFS in
> production (as domain member file server) and I am surprised by the
> first two recommendations. Care to share WHY you recommend against it
> Rowland? To be honest, when a Samba team member recommends against
> stuff, I expect a clarification along with it.
>
> -Remy

This is purely my opinion and is probably not the opinion of of any
other Samba team member. There have been numerous problems with running
an AD DC using ZFS on Freebsd reported on here, mainly caused by ZFS
using nfsv4acls, which a Samba AD DC doesn't really understand. I tried
(sometime ago) to provision a domain on Freebsd using ZFS and I
couldn't get it it work satisfactorily, perhaps it is time to try
again. Using Freebsd as a fileserver is a different kettle of fish, it
probably will work, but I haven't tried it.

Rowland