[Samba] Alias Name for new server

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Aug 31 11:14:17 UTC 2021

Grüsse dr. Christian,

> On 31.08.21 09:39, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
>

> >> in smb.conf
> >> netbios aliases = "old name"
> > Not needed, leave it out.
>
> OK
> >

> >> a CNAME pointing to "old name" in DNS
> > Yes, after you removed the old server A + PTR from the AD and DNS.
> > Add the CNAME for the server.
>
> done that
> >>

> >> a SPN in AD pointing to "host/OLDNAME at REALM:NET"
> > Not needed, the CNAME resolve to the A-PTR thats fine.
>
> Tried that. Works in Windows Explorer (I also want the Samba
> Fileserver
> to accessible with the Alias).
> But it does not work with smbclient -k on Linux. There I need
> an SPN of "cifs/OLDNAME at REALM.NET" but then it works.

Why some work with CNAMEs+SPN and some not that i dont know.
But you can just add whats needed, as long the CNAME resolves that should also work.

I dont use smblcient at all here so thats one i didnt know.
So thanks on that one. :-)

And small tip for people that dont use DNS at all.
You can add cifs/ip_of_host at Realm also, if you use //ip_of_host/share
But it less flexible.

Greetz,

Louis