[Samba] Alias Name for new server

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Aug 31 07:39:07 UTC 2021

Gutte morgen Freunde.. And people around the world.

Setup it up like this.
NewServer hostname ( A + PTR ) ptr records.
Setup everything in smb.conf

Per example, all my server have a setup like this.

real-hostname.internal.domain.tld, this get A+PTR records.
Now if this is a file server, im adding
CNAME fileserv1.internal.domain.tld real-hostname.internal.domain.tld
Webserver, + CNAME webserv1.internal.domain.tld real-hostname.internal.domain.tld
Proxy, + etc etc etc.

Now you can always add/remove servers without anyone knowing and change the CNAME.

> So far I have on my list of things where the "old" name would be
> necessary this:
>
> in smb.conf
> netbios aliases = "old name"
Not needed, leave it out.

> a CNAME pointing to "old name" in DNS
Yes, after you removed the old server A + PTR from the AD and DNS.
Add the CNAME for the server.

> a SPN in AD pointing to "host/OLDNAME at REALM:NET"
Not needed, the CNAME resolve to the A-PTR thats fine.

> With regards to SPN  what more is needed except "host"?
You might need to add specific SPN, like HTTP/hostname.fqdn.here at REALM.TLD

> Anything else I am missing?

Nope, not that i see, your idea is fine, follow as i said and you even have less todo.
Just one more things, you might need to set rights again, but i havent seen an smb.conf ;-)
Cant say that for sure.

> Regards
>

> Christian

Greetz,