[Samba] New server and demoted with the same name and IP.

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Aug 23 17:35:57 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-08-23 at 13:10 -0400, Rommel Rodriguez Toirac via samba
wrote:
> El 23 de agosto de 2021 12:17:12 GMT-04:00, Rowland Penny via samba <
> samba at lists.samba.org> escribió:
> > On Mon, 2021-08-23 at 12:07 -0400, Rommel Rodriguez Toirac via
> > samba
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Two servers (machines) in the same domain.
> > >  They both are Domain Controller.
> > >
> > >  CentOS7 - samba 4.11.4  (hostname gtmad)
> > >  CentOS8 - samba 4.14.3 (hostname gtmad1)
> > >
> > > both compiled.
> > >
> > >  The FSMO roles are in the server with CentOS8:
> >
> > Then why does it matter if the ip and name changes ?
> >
> > I would create a new DC by joining it to the domain, transfer all
> > the
> > FSMO roles to it and then demote the existing DC's, adding any
> > other
> > new DC's required.
> >
> > Rowland
> >

>  The entired network use static IP and in the workstations the
> Network Device configuration / IPV4 / DNS Server is used the IP of
> the CentOS7 server, so if change this IP I have a lot of work to
> do.

That is why you only use fixed ip's (or dhcp reservations) for a small
amount of servers (DC's etc) and dhcp for everything else.

If you must use the same ipaddress and name for a DC, then you are
going to have to demote the old DC, ensure there are no records for the
old DC in AD, then join the new DC.

Rowland