[Samba] wiki returns ERR_HTTP2_PROTOCOL_ERROR

L A Walsh samba at tlinx.org
Tue Aug 17 23:38:25 UTC 2021

> Louis emailed me about this, this morning. I told him what I am now
> telling you, it works for myself, perhaps it is something on the
> internet ??

----
It's a similar example of the internet becoming unreadable for those
who don't have the correct (or latest, or approved) "security"
or "protocol" libraries installed on their system.

I regularly see similar messages trying to download rpm files
from/for my distro.  I try to d/l a file w/o encryption using
'http', but if a mirror redirector directs me to an https-only,
there was a while where I often got:

500 Can't connect to mirrors.edge.kernel.org:443 (SSL connect attempt
failed with unknown error error:14077410:SSL
routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure)

Took me a while, but I wasn't sure which SSL libs needed an
upgrade.  Finally, I either got the right libs, or the error
went away.  It was intermittent based on what mirror you got
sent to. Some sites still allowed http, whereas others had a
different version of SSL that worked with my machine's version.

Somehow I found it ironic how downloading 'open source' files
*required* encryption, ignoring the topic of needing "matching
encryption".  If someone with one of today's computers was to
try using it in a decade, they might find they can't access much of
the web -- a bit disturbing.