[Samba] mount.cifs STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS

Mark Amundsen amundsmark at mail.com
Wed Aug 11 13:01:27 UTC 2021

Hello all

I have a Samba AD DC and a Samba Fileserver. Shares on the latter is mainly served to W10 clients (they are also members of the samba-domain). All this works.

Then there is a linux box that mounts a few shares on the fileserver with mount.cifs, this used to work for several years but stopped working a few days back (most likely after an apt upgrade but unfortunately I didn’t notice it break at the moment).

I have the credentials in a file (/etc/cifs-utils/cifspasswd):
username=me at domain.example.com
password=thesecret

mount -t cifs -o credentials=/etc/cifs-utils/cifspasswd //fileserver/data /mnt/samba
returns Status code returned 0xc000005e STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS

However, this works:
smbclient -A /etc/cifs-utils/cifspasswd //fileserver/data

I’ve tried to change the credential-file to
username=me
password=thesecret
domain=domain.example.com

but then smbclient says: gensec_spnego_client_negTokenInit_step: gse_krb5: creating NEG_TOKEN_INIT for cifs/sneezy failed (next[(null)]): NT_STATUS_NO_MEMORY
and mount.cifs STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS as before

If I type an invalid password smbclient also says NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS

I am aware that this might not be an issue with samba, I just hope that some kind soul will kick me out in the right direction :)

Any hints on how to troubleshoot this would be much appreciated!

Samba version is 4.14.6
mount.cifs is 6.8 (debian)
smbclient is 4.9.5-Debian
os on all three is debian 10.10 with Linux 4.19.0-17-amd64

Cheers,
Mark