[Samba] DC controller and DNS

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Aug 3 20:07:13 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-08-03 at 15:55 -0400, ve2cii--- via samba wrote:
>     When you do the install you put in everything, (the compiler will
> go in
> when you install everything).
> You don't need emacs E or X, XAP, Y, XFCE, KDE and KDEi. I would
> put in F, but it is not required for samba. You may need it to find
> out
> stuff. Everything else is needed.
>
> Then you will need as follows:
>
> jansson  (you get this from slackbuilds.org)
>
> (kerberos)    krb5   (you get this from slackbuilds.org)
>
> Python-3.9.6   (this is python3)
>
> python3-dnspython_2.0.0-1_all.deb  (this comes from Debian)
>
> Now you have to get deb2tgz from slackbuilds.org which is used to
> convert the .deb file to a txz file
> which is what is used in Slackware.
>      I think this is pretty much it.

If that is all you installed, then you may not have all the required
packages.

> NOTE: Slackware-14.2 networking works right out of the box after the
> install.

Not for me it didn't and from the internet searches I did to find the
cure, I was not alone. My problem was that dhcpcd was getting in the
way of network manager, /etc/resolv.conf was empty.

> I never did a VM slackware install.

Installing into an oracle VM is pretty much the same as installing on
bare metal.

Rowland