[Samba] schema extension

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Aug 2 16:19:44 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-08-02 at 12:49 -0300, Marcos Ariel Negrini via samba
wrote:
> Hello:
> in the AD we are setting up we need to store Vlan information(the AD
> will be distributed over a wide geographical area, so computers will
> be
> joined in different OU's, and these need to store various attached
> data). This data is currently stored in the description field, but
> we
> were looking at extending the schema. Has anyone had to do something
> similar?
> In our case the fields we need to add are:
> -id_vlan(because of how it is organized geographically there is a
> vlan
> number that would be the name of the ou and a particular id that
> would
> be the field to add).
> -network(x.x.x.x.x/x)
> -area
> I was looking at schema.org to see if there is a definition of vlan,
> but
> I couldn't find it.
> What complications or benefits would it bring me to extend the
> schema?
> I was reading in the samba wiki the procedure and issues to take
> into
> account, but I wanted your opinion to know if it is worth the effort.
> Regards

Have tried investigating 'sites' this sounds right up your street

There is an attribute called 'networkAddress' and you may find another
for vlan-id if you look through the standard attributes.

There is nothing wrong with extending the schema, you just have to get
it right first time. Once you add something to the schema, it cannot be
removed.

Rowland