[Samba] DC controller and DNS

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Aug 2 15:31:42 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-08-02 at 11:17 -0400, ve2cii--- via samba wrote:
>     Ok I am right now recompiling samba with the dnsupdate turned on.
> I am going to use samba-4.12.15 as that is what is running on my test
> machines.

What OS are you using ? You can get the latest Debian and Ubuntu
packages here: https://apt.van-belle.nl/

Latest version is always best, especially as 4.15.0 is scheduled for
early next month, at which time 4.12.x will be EOL as far as Samba is
concerned.

>      I am going to read and try what you have said and let you know.
>
>  From what you are saying I think I got it. There are 2 kinds of
> files.
> One is the standard zone files
>
> what is known as a flat file (the standard bind9
> zone file),
>
> The other is the the ones that samba creates and uses which are in
> the bind-dns directory.
>
>    So basically I need to turn off the internal Samba dns server and
> to do that I just add
> server services = -dns
>     And then do the configuration for the BIND9_DLZ Module.
>
> Can you let me know if I am on the right track?

Exactly, you just need the right settings in the bind9 named.conf
files.

Rowland