[Samba] DC controller and DNS

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Aug 2 14:03:31 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-08-02 at 09:21 -0400, ve2cii--- via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I am having an issue with the DC controller in Samba and I was
> wondering if someone
> could give me a hand?
>     Samba version is:
>
> root at dns2:~# samba --version
> Version 4.13.9
> root at dns2:~#
>
>       I tried to remove everything involving the dns because it is
> not
> required as I will be updating
> the zone file manually. And the zone file is on another machine.

Stop right there, why do think Samba spent so much time getting dns to
work on a Samba DC ? It was because AD requires dns.

Put back everything you removed (if you can, if not, start again), get
your clients to use the DC(s) for AD dns and set the DC(s) to forward
anything not in the AD domain to to an external dns server, or do it
the other way around, it doesn't really matter as long as the DC(s) are
authoritative for the AD domain.

You might not like this, but you are not the first person to try
something like this (and fail), nor will you be the last :-(

Rowland