[Samba] Some questions about Samba as a DC.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Apr 27 11:00:44 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-04-27 at 11:51 +0100, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 27/04/2021 11:30, Jason Long wrote:
> > Why someone choice SAMBA+ over Samba?
>
> This is a personal choice, you can use the Samba packages provided
> by
> your distro (which could be outdated), or you compile Samba yourself,
> or
> you find another repo to use. The Sernet repo supplies packages for
> various distro's, but at a cost, it is up to the individual to decide
> if
> they wish to pay for them.

The big value comes in the timeliness of security updates.  Packaging
Samba is a challenge at the best of times, but under the pump of a
security update SerNet has always had their packages out on time.

Sadly a number of other distributions find this much more difficult to
achieve, particularly those like Debian that lock to old versions and
so have to do backports.

I see timely security patches as one of the bigger parts of what you
pay for, not Samba - this is and remains free software, you are welcome
to ask SerNet for the sources etc, but knowing that when the proverbial
hits the fan, that you can patch your production systems quickly.

Also, as ever, funding Samba vendors (like my employer Catalyst, and
SerNet for Samba+) funds Samba.

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions