[Samba] Some questions about Samba as a DC.

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Apr 26 18:47:25 UTC 2021

On 26/04/2021 19:30, Jason Long via samba wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to use Samba as a DC on the Fedora Server and I have some questions:
>
> 1- Could Samba act like a DNS Server?

It already does.

>   If yes, then could it provide all features of the Windows DNS service?

As far as I am aware, it does provide the same features as a Win DC and
can be managed from Windows.

> 2- For an internal network, is Samba DNS enough to provide DNS service or BIND is better?

AD dns is designed to provide dns to the AD domain, anything outside the
AD domain should be forwarded to an external dns server. If you already
have an existing dns server, then your clients can still use this dns
server, provided it forwards all dns searches for the AD domain to a dns
server on a DC. Best practice, if you have an existing registered dns
domain, for instance: example.com , is to use a subdomain of that e.g.
ad.example.com

There are pro's and con's of using either dns server, the internal
server is easier to set up, but Bind9 is more robust and seems to be
better for multiple DC's

Rowland

Rowland