[Samba] Demote/Promote Samba DC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Apr 21 19:27:19 UTC 2021

I'm not sure what you were thinking a demote and re-promote would do,
or what it would save, but delete, remove and start all over is all
there ever was with Samba really.

Unlike Windows, a Samba DC 'demoted' isn't really put into a useful
state - it doesn't just go back to being a working domain member,
because you would need to reconfigure as a member server etc.

Even a domain join will just replace the existing accounts if it finds
them (unless they are the working accounts of the current server, as a
safety mechanism).

In Samba we don't consider the accounts to be the valuable bit.

Finally, to be clear --remove-other-dead-server doesn't mean rebuild
the host OS or such, we have power but not that much power!  It just
means really clean up, really hard, more than what the Windows commands
do (which the normal demote tried, and failed, to match).

I hope this helps a little,

Andrew Bartlett