[Samba] Demote/Promote Samba DC

Stefan Bellon bellon at axivion.com
Wed Apr 21 06:19:00 UTC 2021

Not sure whether this has anything to do with it ... but I demoted our
old Samba 4.2 server yesterday from the domain as well.

While "samba-tool domain demote -Uadministrator" worked fine and
reported success, in the DNS there were still ~20 records referring to
that old DC. I stopped the old Samba 4.2, removed the BIND9 DLZ
integration on that old DC, restarted all BIND instances (also
those on the newer Samba 4.13.5 DCs) ... still, all the records
remained.

I ended up starting DNS tools on Windows and opened the whole tree,
went through the entries one by one and deleted all that were still
referring to the old DC (except of course the actual A and AAAA
records).

I think, "domain demote" only takes care of part of the demotion?

--
Dipl.-Inf. Stefan Bellon
Axivion GmbH

Tel: +49 711 6204378-11
Fax: +49 711 6204378-99
https://www.axivion.com/

Geschaeftsfuehrung / Managing Directors:
Stefan Bellon, Thomas Eisenbarth, Sebastian Rummler
Sitz der Gesellschaft / Registered Office: Stuttgart
Registergericht / Registration Court: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 720590
Pflichtangaben nach Art. 13 DSGVO / Mandatory information according to
Art. 13 GDPR: https://www.axivion.com/pflichtangaben

Unser Qualitaetsmanagementsystem ist zertifiziert nach ISO 9001
Our quality management system is certified according to ISO 9001

Treffen Sie uns! / Meet us!
VECS - Vehicle Electronics and Connected Services, Gothenburg/Sweden,
19.-20.05.2021 ESE - Embedded Software Engineering Kongress,
Sindelfingen, 29.11.-03.12.2021