[Samba] Migrate Samba AD to Windows AD for M365

Max Olivas molivas at northglenn.org
Mon Apr 19 17:11:42 UTC 2021

Test domain??? Aren't you a funny guy.  Just kidding. yes, I am doing this part in a test environment but the Windows DC is also up in my live environment.

Using powershell on my Windoze DC I've transferred the 5 FSMO roles that it seems to know about (Schema master, Domain naming master, PDC, RID pool manager, Infrastructure master).  What about the other two, DomainDnsZonesMasterRole and ForestDnsZonesMasterRole?  Do they only exist to Samba or is there another way to transfer them?
On 19/04/2021 16:14, Max Olivas wrote:
> I have already added one Windows Server 2012R2 to my domain following
> the instructions found here:
>
> https://dev.tranquil.it/samba/en/samba_advanced_methods/samba_add_windows_active_directory.html

> <https://dev.tranquil.it/samba/en/samba_advanced_methods/samba_add_windows_active_directory.html>

So, it does work without WMI, looks like the wikipage needs updating.

> I haven't tried transferring any of the FSMO roles to it as of yet.
> Any known gotchas to watch out for?

None that I am aware of, but then I haven't tried it yet, but I don't
foresee any problems, I would just add that I hope you are testing this
in a test domain and that you have good backups.

Rowland