[Samba] Migrate Samba AD to Windows AD for M365

Max Olivas molivas at northglenn.org
Mon Apr 19 15:14:26 UTC 2021

I have already added one Windows Server 2012R2 to my domain following the instructions found here:

https://dev.tranquil.it/samba/en/samba_advanced_methods/samba_add_windows_active_directory.html

I haven't tried transferring any of the FSMO roles to it as of yet.  Any known gotchas to watch out for?

Thanks,
Max
On 19/04/2021 15:46, Max Olivas via samba wrote:
> Thank you Andrew for the excellent response.  We've happily ran Samba for over a decade here so it really is a kick in the pants to have to move on from it.  Thank you and everyone else who has made Samba great.
>
> Doing the ldbsearch I see that we are now at schema version 69.  Is this high enough to move straight to Windows DCs without future problems?

Schema version 69 is the schema for Windows 2021R2 and you may be able
to join a 2012R2 DC, but it requires WMI or a 2008R2 DC. As far as I am
aware, you cannot join a later DC version to a Samba domain, we have a
wikipage here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Windows_Server_2012_/_2012_R2_DC_to_a_Samba_AD

Rowland