[Samba] metod for change domain name

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 15 13:01:28 UTC 2021

On 15/04/2021 13:42, Marcos Ariel Negrini via samba wrote:
> Hello:
> I am trying to make a copy of my Samba4-AD to a test environment, and
> for questions of my company they ask me that the domain name is
> different(standardization issues). I was trying with "samba-tool
> domain backup rename", the problem is that our installations are
> compiled from the tar.gz .. and the restoration, by the files that I
> understand that this thought for samba's installed from repositories..
> in the command options beyond the option of a single directory does
> not let me indicate where each part of the Samba4-AD...
> My first question is if I am right and this method does not work (at
> least not directly, I understand that if I could move file by file to
> the destinations of my installation compiled from tar.gz and see if it
> works) for tar.gz installations.
> My second question is if there is any other method to make the domain
> change in a samba4-AD.
> I've been searching but I can't find any clear information.
> Regards

This is something I haven't tried, but it is my understanding that it
should work with a package installed or a self compiled Samba. If it
isn't working what errors are you getting ?

There is no other way of changing a Samba AD domain name and the method
described in the wiki is only meant to be used for testing purposes.

Rowland