[Samba] adding netbios name stops getent from working

Jason Keltz jas at eecs.yorku.ca
Wed Apr 14 17:12:54 UTC 2021

On 4/14/2021 12:37 PM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 14/04/2021 17:29, Jason Keltz via samba wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I have a Samba file server which is part of an AD domain.  I can ssh
>> to the server using my AD username/password.  I can also mount my
>> home directory under Windows.  Everything works as I expect. However,
>> I need to give the server an alias.  If I use "netbios name" to set
>> that alias in smb.conf, then "getent passwd <user>" stops working,
>> and I can no longer login. Why is that?
>>
>> Jason.
>>

> It would be 'netbios alias' except that would require SMBv1 and you
> probably have it turned off, not to mention that AD uses dns instead
> of netbios.
>
> Why do 'need' to give it an alias ?
>
> If you must give it an alias, do a search on 'CNAME'

Hi Rowland!

I have always used an "alias" (netbios name) so that if I need to
rebuild the server with a new name (say, during an upgrade), the user
doesn't need to change any of their mounts. The server can be called
"abcd" and changed to "efgh", but if the user knows to always mount
their home directory as say,  "\\fileserver\homes", then it will always
work no matter what I change the physical server name to.

I already have the CNAME.  I tried that.  Under Windows, I'm logged into
the AD domain.  If I try to mount from \\fileserver\homes, then I get
asked for my username and password, and the mount fails.  On the other
hand, if I try to mount from say, \\fileserver.full.domain\homes, it
works.  I don't even need to "re-enter" my username and password as
would be expected.  When I do an nslookup of just "fileserver", that
works.  The fact that the login box comes up probably means it has
contacted the host. It's just not clear why I can't login without
specifying the full path.

Jason.