[Samba] Trouble in ssh into Windows machines in the Windows/Samba Domain

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Apr 13 15:21:22 UTC 2021

On 13/04/2021 16:03, Nicola Mingotti wrote:

> Ohh,
>
> the DNS, yes, that is kind of cyborg config in my network.
>
> There are 2 DNS on 172.16.3.0/24 because most of the computer existed
> before the domain, and some of them will probably never enter it.
> (there are PC to control manufacturing processes which should not be
> touched)
>
> So, the story is, Bind gives name like : foo.borghi.lan
> instead Samba DNS gives name like : foo.windom.borghi.lan
> Samba DNS rolls back to Bind when it is not able to resolve something.
>
> beta was not in the domain a few days ago so it could contain more
> mistakes.
>
> linte was born as a linux domain experiment so it should be more or
> less ok.
>
> If you think the problem is the DNS I can try to clean up a bit.

Its the dns !

I have an AD domain where machines come and go, but all the domain
machines are in the same dns domain, I have also have printers,
standalone servers etc in the dns domain. You appear to be using
'windom.borghi.lan' as your AD dns domain, yet 'linte' is in the
'borghi.lan' dns domain, How did you get it to join the
'WINDOM.BORGHI.LAN' realm ?

I would leave the domain, fix your dns and then rejoin the domain.

If you do not want to use the DC directly as a dns server, you can use
another dns server, but it must forward everything to the
'windom.borghi.lan' dns domain to the DC. this means that the other dns
server cannot be authoritative for the 'windom.borghi.lan' dns domain or
hold any of its records, though it could be authoritative for the
'borghi.lan' dns domain.

Rowland