[Samba] question on homedir template options

Serge Erlikh serlikh at mills.edu
Mon Apr 12 19:06:54 UTC 2021

Hello dear Samba experts!

I've samba running on a linux server with user home directories located in
a bit unusual way.

The directories are grouped by first letter in username like in this
example:

user: John Doe
username: jdoe
home directory: */home/J/jdoe*

Samba works with winbind using ADS and authenticates.

So far if I use template homedir = /home/%U

and create /home/jdoe folder it works, but I need to configure it to use
the existing folders grouped by the letter.

Is there any way to configure this using variables in samba/winbind config?

Thank you

- Sergiy