[Samba] Dynamic DNS updates from Windows 10 workstations

Allen Chen achen at harbourfrontcentre.com
Fri Apr 9 15:07:11 UTC 2021

Hi Rowland,

Thank you for answering my questions. First of all I am following Samba
4 docs, and not doing any funny things with Samba 4 AD DC and company
DHCP and DNS. I added more details here:

1. company DHCP and DNS exist before we introduce Samba 4 AD. DHCP
updates DNS. So each PC has a dynamic ip registered in DNS with its name
like PCxxxx.DOMAIN1.ANY.

     DHCP and DNS works perfect. When PC moves to another subnet, DHCP
updates the A record immediately into DNS server.

2. then we added Samba 4 AD to the company network, which has its own
domain name like DOMAIN2.ANY.

     Company DNS server forwards DOMAIN2.ANY query to Samba 4 AD, and
windows clients still use the company DNS server. Each PC has a name in
Samba 4 AD like PCxxx.DOMAIN2.ANY.

     This also works perfect. So we do have two names for each PC. If I
did something wrong, please correct me.

The problem is when I move a PC to another subnet(IP changed), samba4 AD
DC doesn't reset the ip in its built-in DNS immediately in AD domain
DOMAIN2.ANY, and company DNS resets the ip immediately in domain
DOMAIN1.ANY. But I do see the ip or some ips get changed late in AD,
when? and how? sometimes not changed at all? We ended up a PC with two
IPs: company DNS sever holds the latest IP, and Samba 4 AD holds the old
IP which is not correct.

Thanks,

Allen