[Samba] Dynamic DNS updates from Windows 10 workstations

cn at brain-biotech.de cn at brain-biotech.de
Thu Apr 8 07:34:20 UTC 2021

Am 07.04.21 um 21:34 schrieb Peter Milesson via samba:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> Thanks for your advice. The timestamp is really from 2019 almost exactly
> 2 years old. There are just a few very basic GPOs applied. The other
> workstations use the same GPOs. Some of the workstations update the data
> correctly, and a few not. The dnsmasq DHCP server which I use, is not
> able to handle any DNS updates, so that task is up to the Windows
> workstations.
>
> I will try to unjoin the offending workstations from the domain and join
> them again. If that does not help, I can always try to make clean
> installations of Windows. The offending workstations are mostly older
> (except one), originally upgraded from Windows 7, previously used in a
> Samba NT4 domain. I don't know if it's a long shot, but may really be
> the underlying cause.

If the entries are old I would delete them first. If they where created
before a rejoin of the computer the entries belong to the old computer
account and can not be changed by the newly joined machine. As you said
it is mostly older computers that have that problem this could be a problem.

Regards

Christian

--
Dr. Christian Naumer
Vice President

B.R.A.I.N Aktiengesellschaft
Darmstaedter Str. 34-36, D-64673 Zwingenberg
e-mail cn at brain-biotech.com, homepage www.brain-biotech.com
phone +49-6251-9331-30 / fax +49-6251-9331-11

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Zwingenberg/Bergstrasse
Registergericht AG Darmstadt, HRB 24758
Vorstand: Adriaan Moelker (Vorstandsvorsitzender),
Lukas Linnig
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Georg Kellinghusen