[Samba] Dynamic DNS updates from Windows 10 workstations

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Wed Apr 7 19:34:14 UTC 2021

On 2021-04-07 20:27, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 07/04/2021 19:12, Peter Milesson via samba wrote:

>>> Windows clients are supposed to be able to update their own dns
>>> records, so I would suggest looking at them, there is nothing built
>>> into Samba to update dns records.
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>

>> Hi Rowland,
>>
>> Maybe I've got things wrong, but what entity is responsible for
>> updating the A records in the Samba DNS servers,
>

> It is either the Windows clients themselves, or the DHCP server. The
> DHCP server must be capable of updating the dns records directly (I
> don't know any DHCP server capable) or it must be capable of running a
> script when the dns data is committed (I only know of one capable of
> this, the isc-dhcp-server).
>
>> and when? Just an example, I have got a Windows 10 workstation with
>> the following data in the AD DNS entry:
>>
>> Name: p2012022901
>> Type: Host (A)
>> Data: 172.16.10.184
>> Timestamp: 4/7/2019 11:00:00 AM
>

> That doesn't look like it has changed since 2019
>

>> The workstation is used every day, restarted frequently, having the
>> latest Windows updates, but the IP address for the A record is wrong,
>> currently it is 172.16.10.185 (from the DHCP server). Shouldn't the
>> Windows 10 workstation register itself with the AD DNS with the given
>> IP address? The tick box is checked for the IPv4 settings.
>

> Is there anything else getting in the way, Firewall ? GPO ?
>

>> If my questions seem stupid or based on lack of knowledge, please
>> correct me, so I can learn from this and get things right.
>>

> Not stupid, might be lack of knowledge, but if it is, I am as guilty
> as you are, I don't use many Windows machines, and the ones I do use,
> all have fixed IP's.
>
> Rowland

Hi Rowland,

Thanks for your advice. The timestamp is really from 2019 almost exactly
2 years old. There are just a few very basic GPOs applied. The other
workstations use the same GPOs. Some of the workstations update the data
correctly, and a few not. The dnsmasq DHCP server which I use, is not
able to handle any DNS updates, so that task is up to the Windows
workstations.

I will try to unjoin the offending workstations from the domain and join
them again. If that does not help, I can always try to make clean
installations of Windows. The offending workstations are mostly older
(except one), originally upgraded from Windows 7, previously used in a
Samba NT4 domain. I don't know if it's a long shot, but may really be
the underlying cause.

Thanks for your input.

Best regards,

Peter