[Samba] Dynamic DNS updates from Windows 10 workstations

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Wed Apr 7 18:12:54 UTC 2021

On 2021-04-07 19:23, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 07/04/2021 17:41, Peter Milesson via samba wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I just finished setting up a secondary AD DC using Louis' packages
>> (thanks a lot Louis) on Debian Buster. No real problems or serious
>> headaches there, DNS, DNS replication, Sysvol replication all
>> working. Both DCs use the Samba internal DNS server.
>>
>> I noticed that there are many extremely old and stale DNS A records
>> for Windows 10 workstations getting their IP addresses from a dnsmasq
>> DHCP server (just using the DHCP part, not DNS). On all workstations,
>> registration of the IPv4 address with DNS is enabled. It's absolutely
>> plain that no DNS records are updated. How can I get the dynamic
>> update in the DNS servers working?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Windows clients are supposed to be able to update their own dns
> records, so I would suggest looking at them, there is nothing built
> into Samba to update dns records.
>
> Rowland

Hi Rowland,

Maybe I've got things wrong, but what entity is responsible for updating
the A records in the Samba DNS servers, and when? Just an example, I
have got a Windows 10 workstation with the following data in the AD DNS
entry:

Name: p2012022901
Type: Host (A)
Data: 172.16.10.184
Timestamp: 4/7/2019 11:00:00 AM

The workstation is used every day, restarted frequently, having the
latest Windows updates, but the IP address for the A record is wrong,
currently it is 172.16.10.185 (from the DHCP server). Shouldn't the
Windows 10 workstation register itself with the AD DNS with the given IP
address? The tick box is checked for the IPv4 settings.

If my questions seem stupid or based on lack of knowledge, please
correct me, so I can learn from this and get things right.

Best regards,

Peter