[Samba] Outdated warning in wiki page Joining Samba as a Domain Member ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Apr 7 02:37:02 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-04-01 at 07:57 +0200, Claudio Kuenzler via samba wrote:
> Hello Samba folks,
>
> I was wondering about a warning in the Samba Wiki (Setting up Samba
> as a
> Domain Member):
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member#Joining_the_Domain
> This page mentions the following warning:
>
> "Do not join a domain member using samba-tool domain join. This
> option is
> unsupported, does not work and can cause problems with your AD
> replication.
> The option will be removed from samba-tool in a future release."
>
> I don't see any hint whether this is still a valid warning or if it
> can be
> ignored. The man page of samba-tool does not mention any deprecation
> warning or similar on the domain join sub-command.
>
> It seems that this is an old relict from the first creation of that
> Wiki
> page in October 2015 (see
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php?title=Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member&oldid=11099#The_domain_join).

This is because the 'samba-tool' command set comes from the AD DC side
of the codebase, from a time when Samba forked into two different
halves.

It, until this MR is merged, changes some slightly different databases
and has a different set of behaviour.  With no known use cases for the
'samba4' join code this is being replaced.

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/1616

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions