[Samba] Windows clients connecting to SMB share differently over IP than DNS

Gavin Greenwalt im.thatoneguy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 20:15:07 UTC 2021

> Not being a synology user, what does that actually mean ? Does it mean
that it is impossible to upgrade Samba ?

Yes, since Synology handles all of the config through their DSM web
interface for domain joins and shares they have their own fork of 4.4 with
security patches and features backported.  I spun up an old 2017 Ubuntu VM
with Samba 4.4.5.  Recreated my Synology smb.conf file as closely as I
could and tested that.  Performance was excellent. Looks like it's
something specific to Synology's Samba backpatched fork combined with krb5
and I will follow up with them.  Also why the config files don't have
explicit includes since I imagine that's hard coded into their
distribution.  I assume idmap is similarly being handled through their
fork's domain join system. (And likely causing the problems it would seem)

> the 'winbind enum' lines could be slowing things down.

Would you still have support for Domain users\groups as folder permissions?

> you have an include file
called smb.netbios.aliases.conf, (you need SMBv1 for netbios), so what
is in it ?

Looks like it doesn't even exist.

Ok, it looks pretty clearly like whatever the issue is, is completely
isolated to whatever proprietary sauce Synology is doing with the Synology
DSM 6.x distribution.  I feel competent defending Samba's innocence.

Thank you for the expert insights!  I'll try removing the winbind enums
after escalating my Synology support tickets so that they can't blame it on
me for making non-UI configuration changes.  And of course if I learn
anything that's applicable to vanilla Samba I'll report back what I learn
from Synology's support team.

- Gavin