[Samba] Debugging a performance issue

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Fri Apr 2 18:10:04 UTC 2021

Am 02.04.21 um 19:23 schrieb Jeremy Allison:

>> Update: removing that "veto oplock files" statement improved the
>> overall behavior. Customer is happy again.
>
> Ah, that actually makes a lot of sense. veto'ing the oplock
> files causes the client to be unable to cache locally.

Yes

> In the "old days" :-), client caching was a lot less
> reliable (whether that was the fault of the client
> or server I leave as an excersise for the reader :-).

As far as I remember I added this setting years ago to fix / or avoid
issues around these .DAT files.

But since then things changed and improved definitely, for client AND
server ;-)

> These days we should act as close as possible
> to a Windows server, so having oplocks/leases
> will help a lot performance-wise.
>
> Thanks for letting us know !

You're welcome.

I think "closing loops" is important: letting others know is part of
contributing and sharing solutions etc

thanks for all your work, have a nice weekend