[Samba] nobody user showing in smbstatus

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Apr 2 12:14:04 UTC 2021

On 02/04/2021 12:25, Sweetth Devil wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>
> Thank you for your reply. Indeed the beginning of smb.conf was missing
> (see below)
>
> Looking at the documentation you linked above all was done apart from
> the force user or folder rights which doesn't suit my setup as the
> same user might be connected on different machine.

OK, if I just remove all the lines that start with a '#' or a ';' (they
are comments and as such, Samba ignores them), you are left with this:

[global]
    workgroup = MYGROUP
    server string = arch_home_server
    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 50
    security = user
    dns proxy = no

[homes]

     path = /home/profiles
     browseable = no
     guest ok = no

    guest ok = no
    writable = no
    printable = no

[arch_home_server]
    comment = arch_home_server
    path = /mnt/hd/
    valid users = sweetth
    public = no
    writable = yes
    printable = no
    strict allocate = yes

If I further remove the default lines, you are left with this:

[global]
    workgroup = MYGROUP
    server string = arch_home_server
    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 50
    security = user
    dns proxy = no

[homes]

     path = /home/profiles
     browseable = no

[arch_home_server]
    comment = arch_home_server
    path = /mnt/hd/
    valid users = sweetth
    writable = yes

    strict allocate = yes

As you can see, because you commented out the contents of '[homes]' but
didn't comment the header and you commented the header for '[profiles]'
but didn't comment all its lines, '[homes]' is now using some of the
lines from '[profiles]'. You need to fix this.

I take it that 'sweetth' exists as a Unix and Samba user.

Where 'nobody' is coming from is a bit of a mystery, 'nobody' is the
default Samba guest user, but you are not using the Samba guest user.
Perhaps fixing your smb.conf will also fix your main problem.

Rowland