[Samba] Outdated warning in wiki page Joining Samba as a Domain Member ?

Claudio Kuenzler napsty at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 05:57:12 UTC 2021

Hello Samba folks,

I was wondering about a warning in the Samba Wiki (Setting up Samba as a
Domain Member):
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member#Joining_the_Domain
This page mentions the following warning:

"Do not join a domain member using samba-tool domain join. This option is
unsupported, does not work and can cause problems with your AD replication.
The option will be removed from samba-tool in a future release."

I don't see any hint whether this is still a valid warning or if it can be
ignored. The man page of samba-tool does not mention any deprecation
warning or similar on the domain join sub-command.

It seems that this is an old relict from the first creation of that Wiki
page in October 2015 (see
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php?title=Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member&oldid=11099#The_domain_join).

thx for clarification,
ck