[Samba] What is needed to allow Network Browsing of the file server in Windows

Nick Howitt nick at howitts.co.uk
Mon Sep 28 13:52:27 UTC 2020

On 28/09/2020 12:36, Rowland penny via samba wrote:

> On 28/09/2020 12:01, Nick Howitt via samba wrote:
>> I am using Samba as a simple file server but I cannot browse its
>> shares in Windows Explorer. I do not use SMB1. Am I missing a trick or
>> is it not possible without SMB1?
> No you are not missing a trick, Network Browsing requires SMBv1. Windows
> now uses Network Discovery instead, you should be able to use this
> instead: https://github.com/christgau/wsdd
>>
>> I am using ClearOS7 with the Centos7 4.10.4 samba package.
>
> Samba is starting to remove everything to do with SMBv1, 4.13.0 (just
> released) has deprecated a few of the parameters required for a PDC, so
> can I suggest you upgrade to Samba AD as soon as possible, this will
> mean using non distro packages or changing distro, because you cannot
> provision an AD DC on the Centos packages.
>
> Rowland

Thanks. wsdd seems to do the trick.

I'm afraid I can't upgrade Samba as I am stuck with what upstream
supply, so it is what I need to be able to support. ClearOS itself will
need quite a rework to handle an AD/DC as it also does file serving and
has a fair amount of stuff integrated with OpenLDAP including a few
schema additions. Really the only feasible stage to do an upgrade would
be when they change to 8.x. Even then, the easiest route would be to
keep going with the current file server set up and run an AD/DC in
docker with something like https://github.com/Fmstrat/samba-domain then
join the server to the docker domain. You would hate this as it you
strongly recommend (for understandable reasons) keeping an AD/DC on a
separate machine. Unfortunately the ClearOS concept was for an
all-in-one box acting as a router and server. Thankfully I am not a
system architect and someone else is going to have to come up with the
system design.
Nick