[Samba] What is needed to allow Network Browsing of the file server in Windows

Nick Howitt nick at howitts.co.uk
Mon Sep 28 11:01:11 UTC 2020

I am using Samba as a simple file server but I cannot browse its shares
in Windows Explorer. I do not use SMB1. Am I missing a trick or is it
not possible without SMB1?

I am using ClearOS7 with the Centos7 4.10.4 samba package. My cut down
configs (with most of the shares removed) are:

[root at server ~]# testparm -s
NOTE: Service homes is flagged unavailable.
NOTE: Service profiles is flagged unavailable.
Loaded services file OK.
'winbind separator = +' might cause problems with group membership.

Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC

# Global parameters
[global]
         add machine script = /usr/sbin/samba-add-machine "%u"
         bind interfaces only = Yes
         domain logons = Yes
         domain master = Yes
         guest account = guest
         interfaces = lo enp5s0
         ldap admin dn = cn=manager,ou=Internal,dc=howitts,dc=co,dc=uk
         ldap connection timeout = 8
         ldap group suffix = ou=Groups,ou=Accounts
         ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
         ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers,ou=Accounts
         ldap ssl = no
         ldap suffix = dc=howitts,dc=co,dc=uk
         ldap user suffix = ou=Users,ou=Accounts
         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
         logon drive = U:
         logon home = \\%L\%U
         logon path =
         logon script = logon.cmd
         max log size = 0
         ntlm auth = ntlmv1-permitted
         os level = 21
         passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1
         passwd chat = *password:* %n\n *password:* %n\n *successfully.*
         passwd chat timeout = 10
         passwd program = /usr/sbin/userpasswd %u
         preferred master = Yes
         printcap name = /etc/printcap
         security = USER
         server min protocol = SMB2
         server string = Server
         template homedir = /home/%U
         template shell = /sbin/nologin
         unix password sync = Yes
         username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
         utmp = Yes
         winbind enum groups = Yes
         winbind enum users = Yes
         winbind expand groups = 1
         winbind separator = +
         winbind use default domain = Yes
         wins support = Yes
         workgroup = HOME
         idmap config * : ldap_user_dn =
cn=manager,ou=Internal,dc=howitts,dc=co,dc=uk
         idmap config * : ldap_base_dn = ou=Idmap,dc=howitts,dc=co,dc=uk
         idmap config * : ldap_url = ldap://127.0.0.1
         idmap config * : range = 20000000-29999999
         idmap config * : backend = ldap
         include = /etc/samba/flexshare.conf

[shared]
         comment = Server Common Files
         force create mode = 0660
         force directory mode = 0770
         force group = howitts
         path = /shares/shared
         read only = No
         valid users = @howitts
         veto files = /.trash/
         vfs objects = recycle:recycle
         recycle:excludedir = /recycle,/tmp,/temp,/TMP,/TEMP,/BackUps
         recycle:exclude = *.tmp,*.temp,*.o,*.obj,*.TMP,*.TEMP,~*.*
         recycle:noversions = *.tmp,*.temp,*.o,*.obj,*.TMP,*.TEMP,~*.*
         recycle:directory_mode = 0775
         recycle:touch = No
         recycle:keeptree = Yes
         recycle:versions = Yes
         recycle:maxsize = 0
         recycle:repository = .trash

[printers]
         browseable = No
         comment = Print Spool
         cups options = raw
         path = /var/spool/samba
         printable = Yes
         read only = No
         use client driver = Yes

[print$]
         browseable = No
         comment = Printer Drivers
         path = /var/samba/drivers
         read only = No

[netlogon]
         browseable = No
         comment = Network Logon Service
         locking = No
         path = /var/samba/netlogon
         read only = No

[profiles]
         available = No
         browseable = No
         comment = Profile Share
         force directory mode = 02775
         force group = domain_users
         path = /var/samba/profiles
         read only = No

My PC's are set up by DHCP to use the server as the WINS server.

Although the role is set as ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC, my PC's are not domain joined.

Thanks,
Nick