[Samba] cifsacl not working

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Thu Sep 24 14:12:01 UTC 2020

On 9/24/20 8:53 AM, Aurélien Aptel wrote:
> Ken Bass via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> writes:
>> I installed a new Ubuntu 20.4 LTS system (smbd 4.11.6) . Initially I
>> tried using the SSSD and 'realm' to join the domain. Everything worked
>> similar to my Centos 7 install and I thought I was finished.
>>
>> The one thing not working is  cifs shares showing the proper id mapping.
>> Based on some online posts, including from Rowland, I got rid of SSSD
>> and configured samba/winbind only. Lots of posts saying 'winbind is not
>> sssd'. Still doesn't work.
> Do you have /etc/request-keys.conf setup to call cifs.idmap?

Hi Aurélien,

I don't have a  /etc/request-keys.conf, but there is a
/etc/request-key.d directory with a  cifs.idmap.conf file. It contains:

create  cifs.idmap    * * /usr/sbin/cifs.idmap %k

However I don't know if it is being used. For example, I temporarily
renamed the above cifs.idmap to cifs.idmap.DISABLED and saw no
difference. (I restarted smbd, winbind, and ran net cache flush).
Since mount.cifs man page says
' If either upcall to cifs.idmap is not setup correctly or winbind is
not configured and running, ID mapping will  fail.
          In  that case uid and gid will default to either to those
values of the share or to the values of uid and/or gid mount
          options if specified.'

So I am not sure how much my troubleshooting step tells me.

My smb.conf is:

testparm -s
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER

# Global parameters
[global]
     disable spoolss = Yes
     interfaces = lo 192.168.2.0/24
     kerberos method = secrets and keytab
     load printers = No
     log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
     printcap name = /dev/null
     realm = MYDOM.XYZ.NET
     security = ADS
     server string = xyz
     template homedir = /home/%U
     template shell = /bin/bash
     username map = /etc/samba/user.map
     winbind enum groups = Yes
     winbind enum users = Yes
     winbind refresh tickets = Yes
     winbind use default domain = Yes
     workgroup = MYDOM
     idmap config mydom : unix_primary_group = yes
     idmap config mydom : range = 1000-29999
     idmap config mydom : schema_mode = rfc2307
     idmap config mydom : backend = ad
     idmap config * : range = 30000-39999
     idmap config * : backend = tdb
     cups options = raw